Fitness and Health

Man dies after NYC Subway passengers are strangled during train altercation

A man died after a chokehold for about 15 minutes after New York City subway passengers argued on a train, according to police and witnesses.

The incident, partially captured on cell phone video, occurred on a northbound F train at around 2:27 pm on Monday.

The 30-year-old man was found unconscious when officers arrived at the Broadway and East Houston Street subway stations and was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead, New York Police said in a statement Wednesday. .

The New York City Chief Medical Examiner’s Office said the deceased man died from a “chokehold” and the method was homicide.

Mayor of Manhattan Mark Levine They identified Jordan Neely, a subway busker who danced in a Michael Jackson costume.

“Our broken mental health system let him down,” Levine said. “He deserved help instead of suffocating on the subway floor.”

Ryder, 24, was taken into custody for questioning and was later released, according to police.

No charges have been filed, but the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said it was investigating.

“As part of a rigorous ongoing investigation, we will review the coroner’s report, evaluate all available video and photographic footage, identify and interview as many witnesses as possible, and collect additional medical records. will be obtained”.

Juan Alberto Vazquez, who was on the subway, told NBC New York that the 30-year-old man was aggressive.

A 30-year-old man died Monday after riding a Manhattan subway train, investigators said. (Juan Alberto Vazquez)

A 30-year-old man died Monday after riding a Manhattan subway train, investigators said. (Juan Alberto Vazquez)

“The man got into a subway car and started making somewhat offensive speeches about being hungry, thirsty, not caring, not going to jail, not caring. He’s going to get a big life sentence,” Vazquez told the station in Spanish.

Vasquez captured part of the incident on camera. A video obtained by NBC New York showed a 24-year-old man lying on the ground and seemingly choking him while two other subway passengers restrained him. .

Vazquez said the chokehold lasted about 15 minutes. He told the station that no one thought the man would die, even after he limped.

Officials have not released many details. A police spokesman said an officer was summoned to the police station after receiving his 911 call about the violence.

“Further investigation revealed that a 30-year-old man was involved in an argument with a 24-year-old man that escalated into a physical altercation,” a spokesperson said by phone. “While two males were physically struggling, a 30-year-old male passed out.”

The police department and the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office said the investigation is ongoing. The coroner’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

first published

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button